Friday, May 13, 2005

Now I'm Just Whining

So I'm off to visit the world for a few days, as part of my incarnation as a busy software company executive wannabe. What? You didn't know about that? Yeah. I lead a number of professional and semi-professional lives, two of them related to boardgaming (see the Diplomacy thing).

By day, on days when I can't avoid it, anyway, I'm the project manager for a global public health program that's housed at a U.S. government agency (it's not a government program, but the funder gave the money to the government). By night, I'm a teenage tiger and a goo-goo muck. Wait, that's not right. By night, I'm a busy
software company executive wannabe. Okay, not so busy, because we have no product, and no revenue, and no customers. Yet. But let me tell you, that endless railing at my two partners, who are the busy programmers producing our wannabe product, that gets exhausting and stuff. In fact, I think I need a lozenge.

In between all that, by which I mean when I'm pretending to work on my other jobs, I'm the Director of Competition, or some such twaddle, for a big Diplomacy
hobby organization. We're hosting the World Diplomacy Championships this summer in DC. I'm the one delegating everything to my horrible teammates and cleaning up their messes and all that. And I still have to be pretty when Mr. Trump shows up. It's so unfair.

So where I'm off to this weekend is Columbus, for some big show of geekery, where we may debut a demo of our actual product. That is, if my partner Mr. Bigglesworth can take the game code that was just cleared from testing yesterday and wrap the communications code around it without hosing everything up entirely. Since Mr. Bigglesworth didn't find my email from yesterday until this morning, I'm feeling a tad pessimistic about the possibilities here. But I'll get to sit next to him on the airplane and nag him while he writes the code.

So what am I trying to say here? Well, the real message here is that I'm meeting Gothmog this weekend. This raises all kinds of fears. I've met (in person) probably a dozen and a half people that I originally met on the Internet. What if Gothmog is, like, the one of those who sucks? What if he has a hot wife and she likes me? What if the voices in my head tell me not to maintain my usual policy on not farting on the first date? What if travelling to Ohio makes me a Republican? What if not having a lighter on an airplane makes me try to set my shoes on fire with matches?

Life's just too fucking complicated.

7 comments:

Dweeze said...

So, when are you coming to Iowa Mr. Hotshot Software Executive Wannabe?

Landru said...

I've got everything I need in Tysons Corner.

Anonymous said...

Really? What's her name?

gothmog said...

Please. While he's Ohio, you should address him by his Ohio name, Mr. Internet Kool-Aid Metaphor Guy.

And, my list of fears? What if he realizes that I need Google to get half of his jokes? What if he really isn't just a cartoon? What if Ilse gets to meet more interesting Internet peeps than L? What if my hot wife actually does like him? What if who I thought was Sasha is actually Landru and vice versa, and they just decided to switch monikers somewhere along the way for laughs and to torture poor unsuspecting souls?

I honestly don't know why we don't just gouge our eyes out right now rather than face this mounting horror.

Jolene said...

GothMog didn't get some jokes? It's nice to see it's someone else besides me for a change. And go answer my question about that comment you left me, already.

Sasha said...

If you turn into a Republican I'll bitch-slap it out of you when you get back. And. I'm a bigger nerd than you. Gotmom? thinks that is a Bad Thing. Oh he has so much to learn.

I'm predicting a whirlwind weekend long affair with another of your bigamously gay married creatures. In case you don't have fun, I sent you a link to a blog you might enjoy. I'd cite it here, but I don't know the rating level of your blog.

gothmog said...

Sasha: don't you mean "bigaymously"?

And. My Nerd score is 90.