Sunday, June 06, 2010

Good Intentions

I fully intended to take on a task I nearly promised to a friend, but I find that I can't do that today, because it's one of three dates I keep holy. I'm essentially on the record here as being against time, as a concept, and the record bears out that time just makes me a weepy, maudlin pussyboy. Despite my stalwart opposition to time, practical reality demands that I live in respect of it. But I don't have to like it.

Anyway, June 6 is, for me, a holy day, and I keep it so on this blog, though I appear to have had my head up my ass on June 6, 2008. Nothing I can do about that now except make up a phony post for that date. So I won't.

Key elements of my D-Day thesis: World War II was the last good war; don't even dream of comparing what our country is doing with its military these days to what those men and women did starting about 70 years ago; and don't tell me I hate the troops because I disapprove of the way our political leadership uses them.

I don't think I've blogged about this before, but the scale of the enterprise is also worth remembrance. The Cornelius Ryan book is a gold standard, I think, but there's far more out there to read. Overlord is worthy of its place as one of the most studied military operations of all time.

So futbol tomorrow, maybe.

2 comments:

Sasha said...

So tell me which one to read.

Steven said...

You forgot one important item about this "holy" day...it is my birthday too you...and I quote "weepy, maudlin pussyboy."